- Patient-Centred Care: "Wishes" Are Not Consents
- Tip Sheet on Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning - updated April 2016
- Tip Sheet on Hierarchy of Substitute Decision Makers - updated April 2016
- Advance Care Planning in Ontario: A Summary - April 2016
- Capacity Basics - Physicians - PPt - Waterloo 2014
- Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning: Getting in Right in Ontario for Health Practitioners (scroll down to bottom of page), 2014
- ACE Commentary on Toronto Star article: “Use of antipsychotics soaring at Ontario nursing homes”
- Report for the Law Commission of Ontario on Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning in Ontario, co-authored with the law firm of Dykeman Dewhirst O'Brien LLP
- Access to Older Adults
- Advance Care Planning (webinar)
- Advance Care Planning and End of Life Decision-Making – More than Just Documents
- Advance Care Planning in Ontario
- Cheat Sheet on Consent and Capacity
- Consent, Capacity and Substitute Decision-Making – The Basics
- Health Care Consent (webinar)
- Health Care Consent and Advance Care Planning: Fairly Good Law and Good Intent, but Not Always Good Practice
- Making Treatment Decisions
- Options for Advance Care Planning
- Personal Health Information – Navigating the Law
- Powers of Attorney and Substitute Decision-Making Authorities (webinar)
- Substitute Decision-Makers for Health Care Matters
- The ABCs of Subsitute Decision Making (webinar)
- The Health Care Consent Act and the Substitute Decisions Act – 25 Common Misconceptions
- The Legal Framework of Decisional Capacity
- Who Assesses Capacity Under What Circumstances?
In co-operation with the community legal clinics in Ontario, Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) produces many helpful publications on a wide range of legal topics. Are you in Hospital for a Psychiatric Assessment? talks about what happens to a person if a doctor completes a Form 1 under the Mental Health Act. It is also available in French - êtes-vous á l'hôpital pour une évaluation psychatrique? Multiple copies of this publication may be ordered free of charge from the CLEO website or by phoning (416) 408-4420.
Consent and Capacity Board
The website for the Consent and Capacity Board includes information sheets about the Board and the different the types of applications that may be brought to the Board. The website also has a series of frequently asked questions.
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC)
The IPC acts independently of government to uphold and promote open government and the protection of personal privacy. The IPC has produced several helpful publications about personal health information, including:
- Collection, Use, Disclosure and Other Complaints – Personal Health Information Protection Act
- Lock-Box Fact Sheet
- Obtaining Personal Health Information about a Deceased Relative
- Your Health Information - Your Access and Correction Rights
National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly (NICE)
NICE is an international network of researchers, practitioners and students dedicated to improving the care of older adults, both in Canada and abroad. NICE and ACE worked together to create a Tool on Capacity and Consent (Ontario Edition) which can be found on the NICE website.
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT)
Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat
The Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat publishes A Guide to Advance Care Planning which is available for free on the Internet or by phoning 1-888-910-1999.