Home Care FAQ

You have the right to ask the HCCSS to review the decision to cut back services provided to you. The law says that you can ask the HCCSS for written reasons for their decision to reduce your hours of service, and for a written copy of their complaint process and they must provide them to you.  Then, follow the steps in the complaints process. It is best to put your complaint in writing. The HCCSS must make a final decision about your case within 60 days. If you do not get the answer you want, or you do not get an answer, you have the right to appeal the decision to a special tribunal called the Health Services Appeal and Review Board (HSARB). Home Care Complaints and Appeals is a helpful brochure published by Community Legal Education Ontario that explains how to make a complaint or start an appeal. The home care Bill of Rights says clearly that you have the right to raise concerns and recommend changes without fear of interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal.